One university in Hawaii offers an online degree in the family nurse practitioner (FNP) specialization. The University of Hawaii at Manoa, located on Oahu, has a doctor of nursing practice (DNP) programs in the FNP specialty area for RNs with bachelor’s of science in nursing (BSN) degrees, as well as for those with undergraduate degrees in non-nursing fields. These programs are offered face-to-face, online, or in a hybrid format that combines on-campus and online instruction.
The online family nurse practitioner doctoral program at UH Manoa is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). A DNP degree prepares professionals for leadership in a sector of nursing care that is growing in demand.
Read on to learn about the online FNP-DNP degree offerings at UH Manoa and information on FNP licensing requirements in the state Hawaii.
Program Information: Online FNP Programs in Hawaii
Located in the Honolulu area, the University of Hawaii at Manoa administers a doctor of nursing practice degree in the family nurse practitioner specialization. The program emphasizes the care of vulnerable populations in the face of our changing healthcare system. DNP-FNPs are trained to provide comprehensive primary care to individuals across their lifespan, and graduates are prepared to lead initiatives that transform clinical practice and delivery of care based on scientific, evidence-based models.
The DNP program is administered full-time and takes three years to complete. The curriculum consists of 77 credits of coursework and more than 1,000 hours of supervised clinical hours, 315 of which serve as the basis of the DNP project. Courses are delivered in online, face-to-face, and hybrid formats with three required summer residencies (one to three days each) throughout the program.
During the last semester, students in the FNP specialization take the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) certifying exam. Please note that the DNP pathway for RNs with non-nursing bachelor’s degrees entails additional coursework, amounting to 50 credit-hours beyond the BSN-to-DNP requirements.
Doctoral students are members of the Nursing Education Exchange (NEXus) and may take courses not offered at UH Manoa through participating universities at the same tuition rates.
Hawaii FNP Licensing Requirements
The Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA) oversees professional and vocational licensing. Applicants seeking initial licensure as an advanced practice nurse in the state of Hawaii must provide the following:
- A completed application for APRN licensure (accessed at www.cca.hawaii.gov/pvl), mailed or hand-delivered to the Hawaii Board of Nursing
- Proof of a current and unencumbered RN license in Hawaii
- Proof of current and unencumbered RN licenses in all other states an applicant has current and active RN status
- Official transcripts from an accredited graduate program leading to certification as a nurse practitioner sent directly from an educational institution to the board
- Verification of passage of a recognized, national certification exam sent directly from the certifying body to the board
- Completion of a criminal background check (federal and state), requiring the submission of electronic fingerprints
- Payment of associated fees by check in the amount of $126 or $196, depending on the year and date of application.
To apply for prescriptive authority as an APRN in Hawaii, the following must be submitted separately, once APRN licensure has been applied for and granted:
- A completed application for prescriptive authority
- A transcript from advanced practice graduate degree program sent directly to the DCCA
- Verification of national certification as a family nurse practitioner sent directly to the DCCA
- Proof of education in advanced pharmacology, including advanced pharmacotherapeutics, sent from educational institution along with course descriptions to the DCCA
- Payment of associated fees
As a final note, all nursing and APRN licenses in Hawaii expire on June 30 of each odd-numbered year. RN and APRN license renewals must be submitted separately with associated documentation and fees.